Saturday, August 25, 2012

The Hills Are Alive!

Montebelluna lies at the foot of the "pre-Alps".  South are the flat plains to Venice.  North are the Dolomite Mountains.  And here in between?  Hills.  Lots and lots of hills.  To explore.  And I've finally started.  After only 8 months.  In the hottest month of the year, August.  Of course.

Armed with iPod music, fully-charged camera, journal & pen with enough ink to write as much as I want, factor 30 sunscreen, and water bottle, my 5-year-old tennis shoes and holey jeans help me conquer the surrounding terrain covered with vineyards, churches, cornfields, and fruit trees. I even discover some caves in the rock cliffs that were used from 1915-1918 to hide personnel and supplies during WWI.
 
My second day out, the only goal is to locate the big canal at the base of the Montello, the biggest hill in our area.  That too easily accomplished, I decide to forge ahead. 

2 hours later, I find myself thinking of the great walker St. Francis of Assisi and of Martin Luther, who walked all the way from Germany to Rome...and back again!  3 hours later, I walk into a coffee bar in another town.  To buy a bus ticket home.  

When I tell the barista I've just walked from Montebelluna to Giavera del Montello, his very green eyes grow very big as he exclaims, "You walked 12 kilometers!"  There's something kind of satisfying about impressing a young Italian guy who once ran a pizza place on an American base in Kandahar, Afghanistan.


3 comments:

Gail @ http://biblelovenotes.com said...

Fun story, Tracey.
And congrats on starting a blog...I think they are such a good way to communicate. I've become somewhat of a blog expert with blogspot the last few years, and I'm available if you want any help.
Bless you, Gail

Tracey Gust said...

Ciao, Gail ~ Kindred spirit, your http://biblelovenotes.blogspot.it/
has already helped me without you even knowing it. Grazie!

Sarabeth said...

I wish I could have explored with you. I am impressed! How fun!